Wednesday 9 June 2010

"How about the men?"

Another one I've been asked a lot, usually as a friendly jibe but occasionally with a determination more fitting on 60 Minutes: "What about the men who go to Bali for sex?" Or, after the most recent screening, "Are you going to do a sequel on the male sex tourists?" ("Actually there already is a sequel," I replied.)

I welcome the question, but I find it somewhat irrelevant. You don't need this film to tell you that male sex tourists visit Bali too. And you certainly don't need it to acknowledge that sex tourism happens the world over. A film about the war in Iraq doesn't automatically deny all the other wars that came before it. Not that I'm comparing sex with war. We could all do with more of one, and have none of the other.

0 comments:

Post a Comment